Thursday, April 5, 2018

Week 66

Excerpts from two emails this week: 

Our zone pday today will be in Koriyama and we'll be going to see the cherry blossoms at some park there. Our bus stop is called Koriyama Women's college but I think that will not be one of the places we visit, as fun as visiting a women's college would be. It sounds like our ZLs will be bringing a football and are planning to have some sports go down, so that will be pretty fun. I'm excited for that.

This transfer is halfway over. That's a little bit scary. Thinking about things in terms of transfers makes them feel really short. Like semesters at BYU. Or the amount of time I have left on my mission. Or the time that I have to wait until I can Skype you again. Or the time I have left as a teenager.

Okay I'm about to go hop on my bus since it's 916 now. I'll probably write some emails on the bus and get them sent out a little later. My bus might even have Wi-Fi. I don't remember.


Hello Family,

I'm on the bus and guess what: it has wifi!! I think Iwaki might be my favorite area. Our buses between areas in the ezone have wifi, we have a member that gives us donuts all the time, our branch has the Igari's in it and they're amazing, and Iwaki is a pretty big area, so I haven't gotten bored with it yet. We also have our apartment on the first floor which means that I can do all the jumping and crazy exercise in the morning that I want to. And the grocery store right next to our apartment is almost like a farmer's market and it's the best store I've shopped at my whole mission. I've also seen a golden Lamborghini on two separate occasions and a red Ferrari. This area also has one of my favorite branch mission leaders. One sad thing about Iwaki is that our district only has two young Elders so we only get ZL splits once a transfer. We don't get any district splits.

I'm not sure if you can tell from my writing up until now, but I'm not actually looking at my tablet right now. I'm on the bus with my keyboard on my lap and looking out the windows so that I don't get motion sick. It's kind of fun. My tablet is just chilling on the seat next to me. Hopefululy there aren't too many typing errors, but if there arer that is the reason.

This week we had a zone blitz. The whole zone came to Iwaki for a day and tried to find all of th einvestigators. It was pretty fun. We were in charge of figuring out areas for people to go and buying some stuff so tht the ZLs could make us all curry for lunch. Going to a restaurant with 14 missionaries would have been a little bit more fun I think, but they were worried that people might have no money and just starve to death. I think that in total, 14 new investigators were found that day which would mean an average of two investigators per companionship. It wasn't quite equal though because the ZLs didn't find any and the STLs found five. My comp and I did find two. Those were also the only two that we happen to have found all week, but we were pretty happy about it. Hopefully we can meet with them again and get them interested in living the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Two days ago didn't feel like Easter. It was still a fast Sunday for us since we have General Conference nexxt week, and it felt like Easter just snuck up on me this year and was gone as fast as it came. It was funny during testimony meeting when the most energetic senior citizen in all of Japan (who also happens to be a sister in our branch) got up and at the end of her testimony mentioed the fact that our one young man in the branch bounced and went to America, and the other young dude who happens to be 28 got engaged and moved way down south. Her suggestion for fixing the bias of our branch demographics towards old people was to have the missionaries get married and move back to Iwaki. It's not a terrible idea. Except that I'm not sure that I could live in Japan as an ordinary citizen. Japan is great but America is the promised land of the BoM and they speak English there, so I'll likely end up east of the Pacific. Not in the Pacific.

I think that mom said last week that the package you all sent to me for my birthday was 13 pounds. I'm not quite sure what you might have sent 13 pounds of. One of my guesses is that it could be 13 pounds worth of keys to all of the Ducati motorcycles that you got for me for after my mission. Maybe there are some STi keys mixed in too. I'm not sure. Or maybe you just sent my 13 pounds of money for groceries. Or 13 pounds of calendars of all of the hot dates that you've scheduled for me (for after the mission:-). Or something else. I'm not sure. I haven't gotten it quite yet. It's probably somewhere in between Iwaki and the Sendai mission office.

I've seen and heard some of the changes at General Conference on Facebook and in mom's email to me this morning. There were some pretty big changes. That's exciting. I'm interested to find out how the ministering thing is going to be implemented. And what a combined High Priests quorum and Elders quorum will look/sound like. And I don't know if you all remember this, but I actually got to eat dinner with a dude known as 'Elder Gong' during my time at the MTC. And he actually looks just like a dude that got sustained by most of the world as an apostle the other day. :) I think he was the mission president over Elder Turk's home mission when he got baptized. So when Elder Turk got invited to dinner I did too. :)

I did actually sneak a few peaks at my tablet and fixed some of the typing errors. There are probably still some left over, but I think that as it is you'll probably be able to understand most of what I said. I can't think of anything else to say except that I love you all the most.

I love you the most,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment